Saturday, June 15, 2013

Exploring The Challenges Ahead, On The Road Less Travelled

"Because it’s unfair to expect black women to constantly break down barriers. And it’s exhausting."

They may be generations apart, but PhD student Janine Bradbury shares a few things in common with Professor Cecile Wright. Like her, Janine is a black female academic, still a rarity in her industry (academia), and will likely encounter the same challenges and struggles in her professional life. Essentially, the road ahead is just as tough for Janine as it was for Cecile Wright in the ‘70s.

In the final part of our 3-part interview, Janine Bradbury shares her views on the chronic under-representation and social invisibility of black women in her field.

And so the conversation continues …

Yaaya:
What does ‘social invisibility’ bring to mind, for you?
Janine B:
I suppose it makes me think about what Patricia Hill Collins and others describe as ‘colour-blind racism’. By that, I mean the idea that if we stop talking about “race”, then it’s no longer a problem. It also makes me think about the enormous number of people in this country working hard as domestics, cleaners, pulling night shifts – and I wonder – do we recognise their contribution? I think they are socially invisible.
Yaaya:
What do you think should be done to tackle the under-representation of black women in academia?
Janine B:
Well, I mention in my Guardian article that the introduction of an Athena Swan type scheme for black women academics would be very welcome. A focus on widening participation in postgraduate study is desperately needed. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is where black women really start to face obstacles.
Yaaya:
Drawing on your own personal experience, you mentioned that a supportive supervisor inspired you to become an Academic. How important do you believe role models and mentors are to enabling us actualise our ambitions?
Janine B:
It’s interesting that you mention this, because we run a session for school kids on the differences between mentors, role models and heroes. Visible role models are much needed, and your initiative (Yaaya) is brilliant in that it draws attention to women of colour who can serve as role models to other women of colour. You don’t have to ever meet a role model for them to have an impact (on you) – it’s just encouraging to know at the end of the day, that what you want to do isn’t impossible and that somebody has blazed that trail for you. Because it’s unfair to expect black women to constantly break down barriers. And it’s exhausting.

Mentoring is critical and that’s what has made the difference for me. One of my supervisors, Rachel van Duyvenbode, recognised my potential when I was in my final year of my undergraduate degree and said to me “if you want to be a lecturer, if you really want to do this, this is what you’ve got to do”. Without her (Rachel’s) encouragement, I probably wouldn’t have realised my potential as quickly. Since taking a more activist inspired approach to PhD study, I have sought out a really amazing group of people, men and women of all backgrounds, who are supporting, championing and mentoring me. And that is one of the things that sustain me.
Yaaya:
On the subject of giving back, in 2011, you co-founded We Are Here. Can you tell us more about this initiative?
Janine B:
We Are Here is a scheme based in The School of English at The University of Sheffield. We work mainly with black and minority ethnic (BME) school groups to encourage participation in arts and humanities subjects including English, History, Creative Writing and Film Studies. I co-founded it in response to what seems to be national under-representation of BME students in subject areas like mine. I’ve been teaching at the University for four years and I’ve barely taught any BME students. There are lots of reasons for this, but I wanted to do something to address it – or at least, start a conversation about it. I think almost 1 in 5 people in Sheffield are from BME backgrounds (slightly higher than the national average) but our classrooms and lecturers don’t reflect this.
Yaaya:
Janine, we'd like you to complete the following sentences. I hope my thesis contributes to ...
Janine B:
Our understanding of how black women writers negotiate these difficult questions we discuss, surrounding race and identity.
Yaaya:
Role models matter because ...
Janine B:
They show us that our dreams can become reality and that obstacles can be overcome.
Yaaya:
Yaaya for me represents ...
Janine B:
A really good opportunity to celebrate the achievements and potential of women of colour.
Yaaya:
Janine Bradbury, thank you for sharing your story with Yaaya. We are really glad to add your voice to our conversation!

This post concludes the final of our 3-part interview with Janine Bradbury. Catch-up on earlier parts of our conversation.

Part 1: Janine Bradbury, Against The Grain

Part 2: The Persona Behind The PhD

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...